"I don't know what your destiny will be, but one thing I know: the only ones among you
who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve" Albert Schweitzer

Sunday, June 6, 2010

How Rich Are You?

A couple of days ago, I introduced you to Jason Brink and his Crimson Cannonball blog.  I've really enjoyed reading many of his posts and found the following musings of his rather poignant relative to volunteering in general and the Hopital Adventiste project in paticular.  Don't forget to take the little test at the end.
I leave for Haiti in 72 hours.  It is going to be quite an experience to be back out in the world again.  It has been too long since last I have seen the sun rise in other lands.  Too long since I have felt the warm wash of foreign voices crashing around me.  Too long since I have left the safety of the Hilfiger-clad and McMansion housed all-too-washed American masses.  It will be nice to be around people who truly understand what it means to appreciate the small things in life.  The tiny things that we as Americans gloss over in our rush to get from cradle to grave and accumulate as much stuff as possible.  When was the last time you turned on a light and thought, "Wow...that's cool...light with the slip of a switch...I am one lucky dude. Whats this? You mean clean water comes out of this tap when I turn it?  Awesome!!!" 
We really are incredibly fortunate to be where we are.  Chances are, if you are reading this, you are better off than huge chunks of the global population...and good for you...but don't ever let yourself take it for granted.  It is all too tempting to fall into the complacency that luxury affords us.  I know I do, and I hate myself for it sometimes. Don't just soak up the world around you...get out there and change it...make it better...be worth the life you live.

If you have a second, check this link out.  It will be a bit of an eye opener for you.  Put a ballpark of what you made last year in there, and hit the button...its kinda eye opening, I was blown away by it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment