"I don't know what your destiny will be, but one thing I know: the only ones among you
who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve" Albert Schweitzer

Monday, June 14, 2010

"I Am A Nurse And That's What Nurses Do"

The following post was authored by Denise Lauria, RN and is Part 4 of a series from Partners In Health focusing on the experiences of volunteers in post-earthquake Haiti. 
Haiti is the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere, and it is our neighbor. I went to Haiti because I felt that if my neighbor needed help, I would rise to the occasion, no accolades needed. I am a nurse and that is what nurses do. What I saw in Haiti was overwhelming. I was not prepared for the poverty, the lack of infrastructure, and the general chaos. I have seen poverty on TV, but I've never seen such widespread abject poverty as I did in Haiti.
The people of Haiti are a people of enduring faith, hope, and resiliency—they deserve our continued support. I went to Haiti expecting to see wailing and depression, but I found strength, hope, and warmth. What I saw were children laughing and people smiling. I carry a special place in my heart for the people of Haiti.
Read the rest of the story here.

No comments:

Post a Comment