"I don't know what your destiny will be, but one thing I know: the only ones among you
who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve" Albert Schweitzer

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

“I Will Never Forget My First Day Or My Last Day In Haiti”

In response to the earthquake that ravaged Haiti’s capital on January 12, 2010, Partners In Health helped to send hundreds of volunteer nurses, doctors, and other medical and logistics professionals from around the United States and Europe to help support their roughly 5,000 staff on the ground. The following essay is from one of those volunteers Annie Lewis-O'Connor, NP, MPH, PhD from Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, Mass. As we've mentioned previously, the volunteer experience is remarkably similar throughout the quake zone.
Every day was a challenge, and no two days were the same. Each day we came to know our patients and their families a little better, and each day we strived to bridge the gap of cultural differences. It did not take long to form bonds that were strong and have sustained. While we laughed together, we also cried together, but mostly we shared an experience that would hold lasting memories.
I start my Haitian Creole classes in June. I will go back to Haiti. I must go back. I am a better person, my children’s lives have been enriched and impacted profoundly, and my life will be forever changed...I plan to “Stand with Haiti” for as long as I can, as long as it takes.
Read more of Annie's story here.

No comments:

Post a Comment