"I don't know what your destiny will be, but one thing I know: the only ones among you
who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve" Albert Schweitzer

Friday, June 11, 2010

“I Cannot Change Everything, But I Can Do The Best That I Can”

In response to the earthquake that ravaged Haiti’s capital on January 12, 2010, Partners In Health sent hundreds of volunteer professionals from around the world to support  their already established staff on the ground. The following is Part 3 of a series of essays from one of those volunteers, this time Karen Foley from Boston, Massachusetts. The sentiments expressed by Karen are very similar to those by most volunteers irrespective of where they serve.
The Haitian people are the most amazing and resilient people I have ever met. If a patient needed something and their family was not there, another family would step in and help. When we worked on a patient, local Haitian volunteers would hand us the various items we needed. Other people would help to locate supplies if we could not find them.
I am used to working hard but this is the hardest work I have ever done—both physically and emotionally. Still, I could go back to Haiti many times over. The patients that we cared for were extremely thankful and grateful. This experience has made me appreciate so much more, but also appreciate the Haitian people for what they have given me as a nurse and person.
Read the entire story here.

No comments:

Post a Comment