"I don't know what your destiny will be, but one thing I know: the only ones among you
who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve" Albert Schweitzer

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Dr Syed Initial Trip Report

The following post was authored by Hasan Syed, MD, a PGY-5 Orthopaedic Surgery Resident at Loma Linda University.  Hasan has been working at Hopital Adventiste since the 25th of last month. 

I wish I had time to do a daily blog but I hope you will accept a weekly one instead. Since you were already here, I don’t have to tell you how busy it is….my first week, it was basically 4 ½ hours of sleep that was my personal time.
Before I get into any of my own personal experiences, I have to talk about the Haitian people. The incredible devastation that these people have had to live through since the earthquake, both in terms of the immense physical destruction around them as well as the immeasurable emotional toll coming from this catastrophe is absolutely heartbreaking. Although I had seen it in the media and thought I had a grasp of the destruction before landing, the ride from the airport to the HAH on a quiet Sunday morning was overwhelming. Toppled buildings, crushed cars, broken road ways were surrounded by tent cities everywhere.

A significant image in my mind that remains is the view of the Presidential palace, a once regal white colonial period structure, now left in ruins. Physically, the city of Port au Prince appears post apocalyptic. Against this backdrop, the Haitian people still maintained a very visible dignity and normalcy that was most striking. People were heading to church on this Sunday am, dressed in their best clothing. Its hard to put into words but there is a stoic resolve to the Haitians that leaves an impression on all those who have come here. In a situation like this, where one could expect anarchy and despair, there has been very little. And this has been the case from since very early after the earthquake. Couple this with the kindness and concern the Haitians show for strangers, it becomes very easy to see why most feel that they have gained more from the Haitians then they have given them. In my short time here, there are numerous situations where complete strangers have brought people, particularly children for urgent/emergent medical care.

Although most have to spend some time getting through Customs, I was fortunate and flew through in essentially 5 minutes. The Customs officer asked me what I had and asked me if I was a doctor. After that, he let me pass through quite quickly. 

The HAH is a 3 level structure with labs in the basement floor; clinics, operating rooms,  pre/postop care and ER on the first floor and some inpatient rooms and staff quarters on the second floor. Even for the staff, living condition are austere but still tremendously better than the average Haitian. There is a aluminum cot, a mosquito net and if you are lucky, a fan nearby. Sleeping quarters are in an open air veranda with a ceiling. The temperature is quite hot (90+ F) and what feels like 90% humidity. There is a staff lounge nearby.


Within an hour of being at HAH, I was in the OR with Terry Dietrich. Dr. Dietrich has been here for 2 weeks. Scott Nelson has just left for a brief hiatus and Dr. Dietrich is taking care of the orthopaedic services currently. We have several cases lined up today, ranging for I&D’s of open fracture associated infections to IMN of long bone non unions. The orthopaedic care for earthquake victims is in a different phase than before. Whereas previously, it had been fracture stabilization and amputations early on, it now is mainly infection/wound management and revision of previously treated fractures as well as managing sequelae of untreated fractures.


More to follow...

1 comment:

  1. John Herzenberg, MDMay 8, 2010 at 9:30 AM

    Dear Dr. Syed, Thank you for taking the time to post about your experiences at HAH. I know you're very busy and it takes considerable effort at the end of a long day to sit down and write. As an upcoming volunteer (June 2010), I can tell you that our team is reading your every word, as it helps to orient and prepare ourselves as to what to expect. Thanks! -- John Herzenberg

    ReplyDelete