"I don't know what your destiny will be, but one thing I know: the only ones among you
who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve" Albert Schweitzer

Thursday, May 27, 2010

They Are The Faces Of Hope

Alex Coutsoumpos is a senior student at Loma Linda University School of Medicine and has served at Hopital Adventiste d'Haiti on more than one occasion.  Upon graduating this coming weekend, he will be entering a General Surgery residency at Loma Linda University.  Our team had the opportunity to work closely with Alex at Hopital Adventiste d'Haiti and were impressed with his ability to function in a resident-level capacity as he at times single-handedly ran the General Surgery service.  Alex has expressed an interest in mission service upon completion of his training and we wish him all the best.
Alex submitted several photos along with the following introduction:
Haiti has left me with many mental images and experiences that I will never be able to shake.  Being a man of few words doesn’t help my efforts of trying to communicate what I experienced.  Photographs, on the other hand may assist my feeble efforts.  The enormity of the disaster that occurred is still strongly felt even 3 months after the initial quake.  However there is an overwhelming sense of resilience that permeates through the people.  This sentiment is noted as people strive to move forward, help others and reclaim their future.  These people through their powerful examples motivated me to keep working everyday.  They are the faces of hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment