"I don't know what your destiny will be, but one thing I know: the only ones among you
who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve" Albert Schweitzer

Friday, April 2, 2010

Day 12 - Back To The Future

We made it home safely late this evening.  Now the process of re adapting to our own culture begins.  We finally left Hopital Adventiste d'Haiti somewhere around 6:30am, about 45 anxious minutes after we were scheduled to leave.  I didn't have much time to sight see during my stay so once again was mesmerized with the physical devastation of the infrastructure and mental despair evident on the faces of the citizens we passed on the way to the airport.  I love to take pictures of people but somehow it didn't feel write to stick a camera up to my face and record the spectacle.  Finally, just before we reached our destination, I cowardly poked my camera through an open window and took a few stealth shots.
Customs and Immigration were a breeze, much easier than getting into the country to begin with.  We flew from Port au Prince to Miami then on to LA where we stopped for a group shot before we went our separate ways.
It's good to be home but landing in LA was too much of a culture shock.  Too much plastic surgery, the cars were too big, and the clothes too chic.  It would have been easier landing in San Bernardino where the discrepancy between the morning and evening would have been less dramatic.  It was an incredible trip, one that I won't soon forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment