"I don't know what your destiny will be, but one thing I know: the only ones among you
who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve" Albert Schweitzer

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Trip Report From Kaye Whitney, PT

The following report is from Kaye Whitney, a Physical Therapist from Sonora, California who spent 2 weeks volunteering at Hopital Adventiste d'Haiti.  Kaye also provided all of the images published in this post.  Hopefully, there are other therapists out there who are willing to emulate her service and join the swelling ranks of HAH therapy volunteer alumni.

I have recently returned from 2 weeks at Hopital Adventiste d'Haiti.  What an experience!  When I first got there I was overwhelmed by the destruction and poverty that I saw. The most scary thing was the airport process, coming and going. Talk to anyone and you will be treated to various airport adventures. I was traveling alone and was very cautious about not letting my bags leave my hands. My driver, Richard, took very good care of me. I came and went without incident. 
At first all I saw was the chaos of the earthquake and dirt and poverty and hunger. The longer I was there I only saw hope, courage, friends and fellowship. There was an organization and rhythm to the chaos. It worked on so many levels. It is so different than US standards but are we the standard? I think not.  Dr Scott Nelson, each morning would remind us of the work that needed to be done that day but that relationships were so much more important. I agree. 
Those relationships didnʼt start developing for me until I began to use Creole in my fractured form. I found the interpreters helpful and the patients loved helping me get my words correct. I had more cooperation from the nurses and family members. Even strangers in the halls and stairwells became friendly when I just said “bonjour.” Donʼt try smiling as we do here in USA. It doesnʼt work, except with kids. I learned enough PT Creole that even a interpreter told me to stay a little longer and I wouldnʼt even need an interpreter.
My jobs were many. I came to do Physical Therapy which I did in the hospital and in the tents on the hospital grounds. I also spent time in the stock room, kitchen clean up, ortho rounds, ortho clinic, and meal distributions. Long days.  The hospital has coordinated with Handicap International/Christian Blind Mission, to aid in PT care. They work at the hospital and tents from 10-4 PM each day. They connect the patients with the outlying PT clinics (antennas). There are 9 of them. They also bring their own interpreters and 2 Haitian trained assistants. 
HI/CBM has difficulty working in the hospital because of their limited hours so my presence was important for hospital care and ortho clinic and rounds.  Hospital PT care is the same world over, the injuries are different. 

PTʼs get patients moving, prevent contractures, encourage and motivate. We educate family and provide improved quality of life.  A sample of patients included burns, bilateral hip disarticulation, arthrogropyosis,  multiples of fractures treated with external fixators, brachial plexus palsy, amputees, contractures for many reasons, hip hemiarthroplasty, and foot drop. 
Patients get Tylenol and ibuprofen for pain and many needed a tent to leave the hospital.  The organizer in me was happy to help with a systematic numbering of the patients beds and developing a short PT checklist page for the charts. By working in the stock room and ortho clinic I knew where to go for crutches and braces. PT there could use more theraband, walkers and pediatric walkers/crutches. Other items were plenteous.  Did I make a difference? I did to my patients and I did to myself. One lady wrote me a letter of thanks which I will cherish all of my days. I promised to see her in heaven. I see the world through different eyes now. I am going back.
What I loved-Haitian friends, helping people, sharing food, warm weather, beautiful Haitian singing, cold showers, volunteer comraderee, and a hope in a better future here and heaven.  What I didnʼt love...sweating constantly, seeing poverty and hungry people and living conditions that were poor long before the earthquake.  Please find time in your schedule to contribute to this country and organization.  Two weeks is best and going through LLU Global Health Institute is good as they handle the details of the trip so nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment