"I don't know what your destiny will be, but one thing I know: the only ones among you
who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve" Albert Schweitzer

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Jordan Owen, EMT-P Trip Report

The following trip report was written by Jordan Owen, a Captain, EMT-P in the Bass Lake, California Fire Department.  Jordan and his team were with us during our visit in March and we all greatly appreciated the care they gave our patients.
A close friend of mine went to Port-au-Prince shortly after the Quake. He went with Firefighters for Christ. Upon his return he and I spoke about his experience and I could see a "Change" in him. Little did I know, I was in for a "Change" myself. Brian had met several American relief workers while in Haiti. I expressed to him how eager I was to volunteer as well. Brian emailed a few folks and had included me in the email along with a brief introduction. I then emailed the contacts, one of which was BCFS (Baptist Child and Family Services). I expressed my desire to help out any way possible and listed my qualifications. I have been a Paramedic for 18 years and Fire Captain in Bass Lake, CA. I also have Incident Management training and experience. 
Within 8 hours I had a phone call and with in 72 hours I had a confirmed plane ticket to PaP! I had just 10 days from the initial email to departure. WOW! There was a lot to get prepared for. My wife and I are avid campers and wilderness people so I already had the essential tools and equipment to "Rough It". I did however purchase a Steripen to ensure clean water beyond that of a traditional pump. I checked the weather and knew that it would be Hot and very humid so a sleeping pad and sheet were all I needed to pack for sleep. I included a variety of high protein snacks and several packets of electrolyte replacement powders. And as a special treat, my wife included some Starbucks instant coffee packs with creamers. This turned out to be wonderful! I met my team in Miami and we flew to PaP together. 
The flight was that of a conventional American flight but the baggage claim, WOW! You have to really be aggressive for this one! Anyone that has done it will tell you it is a cross between Hide and Seek and a Rugby match. This was the first experience to say, Hello Haiti! Once we pushed and shoved our way to our awaiting bus the ride to Hopital Adventiste was amazing. The pictures and videos I had seen don't compare to the real thing. This really induced the gravity of the quake for me and was just the beginning of a roller coaster ride of emotional responses. En route to the hospital I had expressed my willingness to do whatever was needed to our team medical officer, Dr David Marks. I wanted to be his right hand man. I was in Haiti to do and see and help as much as I could in 7 days. I wanted to be effective. 

 The minute we walked through the door we at HAH we were summoned to help with an emergency c-section and assist in the care of the 30 week old micro preemie. Dr Marks asked if I was ready and I gave him an eager affirmative! From that point on we didn't sit in one spot for 7 days. We were responsible for the ER night shift initially but this carried into day shift and so on. We were called at all hours of the day and night to participate in both stat and non-stat assessments and treatments.

 Throughout the week I introduced myself to various people and met the Orthopedics Team from LLU. I had asked if I could watch some surgeries and the team invited me in. I asked many questions and valued my time with the team as priceless! The technical information and relationships were amazing. If I had it to do over again the idea of becoming an Orthopedic Surgeon would satisfy my boyish love for Tinker toys and Erector sets. 
My experience in Haiti is a life-changing event. I witnessed a group of people that have nothing, No money, No home, some have no family, but they still have God! The faith these people had in God made me feel as though I had none. It was inspiring. Throughout the week they helped me. The team dynamics and cohesive relationships between volunteers, interpreters and rescuers were unparalleled. Somehow in Haiti, God’s voice was clearly heard for me and without the distractions and luxuries of home, His Light was evident.
Returning home. The trip back seemed as short as the anticipated flight going to Haiti. It was great to see my wife and daughter. I was enjoying the “Buzz” of helping others and hearing God so clear. The following day I was trying to organize my pictures and emails and just get back into my daily routine. I paused for a moment and as I sat there I started to cry. I looked around my home and thought how could I be so selfish and take you for granted God, why do I have all these things but have little faith in you?

Haiti for me was and adventure of both culture and faith. We were healed in the process of helping others. The volunteers helping in Haiti will always carry away more than imagined. God is affirming the Haitians faith through our volunteer efforts. God bless them and keep them.

No comments:

Post a Comment